Wednesday, December 17, 2008,11:09 pm
Christmas. What do we think of when we see or hear that word? What images plant themselves into our minds? A big, luscious christmas tree with either an angel or a star on top? What about opening the presents on Christmas morning, hoping and praying that for once, you actually got what you wished for? Perhaps a certain red-nosed reindeer whose name rhymes with golf? And of course, what about a fat, jolly chap, decked out in red and white, head covered with a cap to shield him from the winter (not that he needs it; his obesity ensures eternal warmth) and a long, silver/white beard? Unsurprisingly, those thoughts and images are the first things to permeate one's consciousness when one thinks about Christmas. And given today's modernised world, where money talks the loudest, that is only to be expected.
But are those really the true meanings of Christmas? hell NO.
Christmas is the day when Jesus was born, so that He would die for the world. The world's most powerful king ever was born, not in a fancy hotel, not in a glittering palace, but in a stinky manger, surrounded by animals. That was about 2008 years and one week ago. That, to me, is the true meaning of Christmas: the birth of the Saviour. If not for Him, would our sins be so readily forgiven? Obviously I'm not in a position to predict what God would or would not do, but I think the answer to that question is no. I mean, He even sent a flood to drown the earth because He was getting pissed with the way humans were behaving. Hence with Jesus's entrance into the world, it ensured that all of us would be saved.
Back to the first point. Some people find it hard to fathom Christmas without dear old Santy Claus. No good old Saint Nick? What in the world? No presents for me under the tree?? WTF?!
Sadly, this attitude is prevalent in today's world. We have reached a stage where practically everyone has a 5-megapixel phone, a 100 Mbps laptop, and an 80 GB mp4 player. So-called "necessities" of life. To be honest, I don't know what I would do without my computer, handphone and ipod. Hence I don't want to criticise others for doing so, as that would be disgustingly hypocritical.
But what I do want to criticise people is when they put all these materialistic things over what is truly important. When you see people regarding Christmas presents as more important than Jesus's birth, or merely dismissing Christmas as "just another season", that truly is tragic. This shows the apathy regarding Christmas, or a lack of appreciation as to what the 25th of December truly means.
Likewise, Chinese New Year. Is it purely about receiving red packets? Adding those delicious, crisp notes to our bank accounts? First, let me admit that I do take the amount of money I receive into account. After all, only a fool would dismiss money's worth, especially with the current recession. But is money the be all and end all? Once again, to look forward to CNY purely for the money one will receive shows a failure to understand the true meaning of CNY. Which is what I have been trying to emphasise for Christmas: to see Christmas purely as a season of presents totally defeats its whole purpose.
Having said all that, I honestly declare that in a week's time, I will be eagerly looking forward to whatever presents I receive (if any). And one month from now, I will be going through just how much paper (or rather, plastic) bearing numbers and Yusof Ishak's emo face I have collected. But I will not allow that to deviate from the true meanings of the occasions for which they are commemorated.